Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What a great day.

I love the 4th of July. I can't even describe how much. It is my absolute favorite holiday with Thanksgiving coming in a close second. Both holidays are about gratitude and family. I love the 4th because besides fireworks it is hardly commercialized. It is 100% about family, country, being together, and appreciating the freedoms we enjoy every day. Man, we're lucky. I love this country. I get choked up a few times each 4th.

Are these two stinkin' cute or what?! They are waiting for the parade.

It's so nice to see these two getting along for a minute. They are such cute cousins.

For my photography class we have a weekly creative assignment. Last week our assignment was to capture "what freedom means to me". I think I did this well. I ended up with two pictures I really liked. This one is of the American Legion marching in the parade. They always lead the parade and it is guaranteed I will get choked up. When I was in basic training I loved to march and we were really good. We beat all of our brother flights in march offs. But what I really loved about marching was how it made me feel. When I see these Veterans marching it brings back that pride of country and sense of teamwork.

This one just reminds me of my childhood. I am happy my children are able to enjoy the same things I did as a child. I love their waving hands and the flags in the background.

Hope you're 4th was as good as mine. Can't wait till next year!

6 comments:

Deb Nott said...

I love the 4th too! I am such a holiday freak myself, that almost before one is over I am looking forward to the next chance I get to celebrate!

Smiley Family said...

Man those pics are good!! It was so fun spending the 4th with you and your family. Thanks for sharing your favorite holiday with us :)

Jamie said...

Cute pics! Glad you had a great 4th. I get all choked up too.

Erica said...

Way cute pics! I love the one of Carson and Ben. Sad I missed most of it, but I promise i'll be more fun next year. Love you lots, Sis!

All About M.E.('s) said...

It was a fabulous 4th. Maybe next year we can make the parade? Nice pictures!

rsheedy said...

Oh, such cute kids! That was a great post...awesome pics and wonderful sentiments. What a great time of year!