Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lesson 2

I'm a little behind in my photography class. Two weeks ago we learned about aperture. I still don't totally understand it but I love the effect it is giving my pictures. Aperture determines how much light enters the camera. A high aperture gives a picture with a bigger field of depth and a low aperture gives a picture with a smaller field of depth. It really determines how blurry the background is, also depending on the distance of your camera from the subject. Here are a couple of examples.

High aperture:



Low aperture:

Sorry this may be pretty boring for the rest of you but I wanted to document what I'm learning. I hope everyone is having a great summer. I have spent the last week and a half in Idaho. It has been a lot of fun. What I love about being here is the open space. We just spend so much more time outside exploring than we do at home. We have examined bugs, fed spiders, looked at flowers, tasted berries, played with the dog, played in the water, had a water balloon fight, gone 4-wheeler riding, and so much more. We are having a blast, but we're getting homesick too. The city doesn't have the "open space" but it has family and most importantly Aaron. So a few more days and life will speed up and keep on going.

12 comments:

The Lund Five said...

This is not boring to me at all. I love the pictures and it is cool to see the different things that you can do with the camera. One of these days I hope to buy a really nice camera and learn how to use it. Thanks for all the info!

Zachary said...

I for one, appreciate your sharing your photography lessons with us. It is fascinating to me. Thank you for doing so.

I hope you continue to enjoy your time in Idaho!

The Carter Family: said...

It is cool to see how a picture can change based on the things you do!! And all of your pictures look really great!! Have fun in ID!!!

rsheedy said...

Love the photo with the bee...it looks so cool! I think photography is amazing; I love that you are sharing your wisdom. :) It looks like you are having a great time in Idaho. Make sure you give the new one lots of love; it's so hard to leave them when you have to go home! One of these days, the baby is just gonna go home with me...I don't care what her mama says! lol.

Mark Nott said...

I'm loving them too. Keep 'em coming

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the photography lessons, it's cool the learn about it. I am looking forward to our Pedi's next tuesday night. IM or call me when you get back!! Glad you are enjoying your time in Malad!

Smiley Family said...

Great photos! I too am loving the info. We have missed you and are excited for you to come home to the "big city". But I am also glad that you have been able to spend so much time with your fam.

jcrompton said...

Yeah - I found you again! I can be such a nerd - don't ask me how I found your blog the first time, but I wrote it down so I could add it to my list of blogs - then lost the paper! I need your email so we can catch up! Here's mine- thecromptonfamily@yahoo.com. I can't wait to hear from you! :) I love that you are talking photography....It's so fun! Jamie

sweet nectar sara said...

thanks for sharing, i've actually been wondering how to get the focal point sharper and the background fuzzier :)

Princess said...

I love photography, so thanks for sharing! Where are you taking your classes? Very cool!

Zachary said...

Hey Monica...thanks for your comment on my blog. I really appreciate it. Everything went really well. I am back up and running.

Michelle Mills said...

Hi Monica!!! I am so excited you have a blog. Cute Cute family. Now you can keep track of me when i'm not at school. ha ha Oh by the way I am in a book club we will have to share good books and I am interested in taking a photography class. You will have to let me know a good camera to purchase. I'm thinking Canon....