Being a full time working mom has its perks. The main one being adult conversation. When I first started teaching again I seriously felt like a tongue-tied moron. I knew what I wanted to say. It was in there, but it just wouldn't come out the way I was thinking it. I would start a very educated sentence and screw it all up by the end. I hated it. I blame this on 5 years of staying home challenging my mind in a very different way. You know, all the challenges of being a mommy. Something I would never sneer. It is a very challenging and rewarding job. With time though, I have mostly overcome my idiocy. I say 'mostly' as a disclaimer for those much too often moments I revert.
So adult conversation is wonderful. It is challenging and it is fun to build relationships with the people around me. Now the HUGE downside of working full time is missing out on all the "little" things I loved about my sometimes very tedious days at home. You know, the funny little things your kids do. The things that make you smile and warm your heart. The things that make being a mother sooooo worth it. I miss those. I don't see them as often so in turn I don't blog as often. What is there to blog about with a busy work schedule. Sad.
So are the perks of working worth missing the little things? I don't think so. But for many there isn't a choice. It's just the way it is. So all you working moms out there, what do you do everyday to find the little things in life? I would love to hear. I'm new at this.



Just some cute pics of my kids making the most of our outside days. I wish it would stay fall for a lot longer.
7 comments:
Moni are you working full time now? I'm sorry -- I can't say that it gets any easier or that I have the answers. Just be greatful for June, July and August.
Work sucks; that's all there is to it. Too bad it's the only thing that pays $$, lol.
Yes, in a perfect world mom's wouldn't have to work and neither would dad's. However, I agree that there are some perks to working. For example I think that working forces you to recognize and appreciate things that you take for granted as a stay at home mom, like spending time with your kids and non-working weekends.
During my orientation at the U, I was mostly working days and it was really hard to be away from my kids, but on the days that I didn't have to work, I definitely appreciated the time that I was with them more and focused more attention on them. I learned first hand that the adage about it not being the quantity but the quality holds true when it comes to spending time with your kids. So, even though I am now working less and working at night, I think that I am a better mom the day after I work because I missed them so much while I was away.
And weekends! or the part of a weekend that I don't work are something BIG to look forward to. I appreciate weekends a lot more, especially when I don't have to work at all.
Sorry for the long comment.....
I don't have any advice...just look forward to your holidays, weekends, and summer! How great is it that you get a whole summer off! A lot of people wish they had that! Cute pictures!
That's a sweet post. Rest assured, I've always thought (and still do think) you are a great mother. No one should judge your decision to work. They hiring?? :-)
Good luck Monica...you are awesome. You have an awesome family...and gosh darn it...people like you.
I have no advice. You are treading waters I will personally never ford. But I know what kind of person you are, and I know that you will defy all odds and succeed at this new stage in your life and the life of your family.
Hi Monica,
I started looking at your blog and I think you were my son Shawn's teacher at Bingham while he was there for most of the year before we moved to Draper.
Lara Scott
Post a Comment