Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Better late than never, right?

We had a very fun filled Halloween. This is a holiday I never really enjoyed while growing up (besides the candy) and as a young adult I loathed it. I don't like to call any unneeded attention to myself by dressing up like a moron. But with children, Halloween has become an all new exciting holiday. Since the time Ben was a baby, Aaron and I didn't want to dress him up in any cheesy store bought costumes (my opinion, don't be offended. Jeesh, I'm such a snob!). So I believe we were pretty creative in our quest for handmade and very cute costumes.

Sorry for some of the picture quality. Some were taken in the days before we invested in digital.



This costume was Aaron's idea. He painted the skull on the front of the onesie and then painted "got milk?" on the back. I just cut some sweats, a red sash, and a head scarf. None of the edges were finished but he was the cutest little pirate ever. He was only 8 weeks here.


This one wasn't the greatest but he was adorable. He is supposed to be Frankenstein. He was 1.

This was a fun one and actually has a little sewing in it. I just found a plaid shirt and some old jeans. I sewed patches all over then took fun foam and cut it into strips and sewed it in the shirt. I also sewed the hat. He is 2.



This year I really got into sewing and took some lessons. I was really excited to make the kids' costumes and really had fun with it. Ben's took a lot of time but it turned out adorable. Maggie's was fun. I just took a baby pattern and used fleece instead. I sewed on a circle for the belly and made the banana myself. Ben-3 and Maggie-6 months.

This year I spent more time on Maggies' costume. I completely sewed her little witch costume and we used the same hat Ben used as a scarecrow. Ben was really into The Super Mario Bros. last year. He wanted to be Luigi. I found the hat on ebay, I got the shirt at a store, and I sewed his little coveralls. They were adorable. Ben was 4 and Maggie was 18 months.


Ben had a star wars party for his birthday and wanted to be Darth Vader. I didn't have any time to sew anything, (I really didn't feel like it either) so I found one on the internet. This is the first completely bought costume. It was pricey so I told him if he wanted to be Darth for his birthday, he had to be Darth for Halloween. He was fine with it and had a good time. I bought a pattern with 4 different costumes on it for Maggie. I let her pick the one she wanted and she was all for being a pirate. She kept walking around the house saying, "I be a pirate, Arrrhhh, Matey!" It was a fun costume to sew up. Ben-5, Maggie-2

I know this has been a long one, but I had to share this video of the kids for my dad. It was supposed to be well wishes to grandpa and quickly turned into an arguement. I kept filming.

13 comments:

The Lund Five said...

Very Cute. I'm impressed that all of there costumes have been homemade. That is so cool! I really liked Maggie's costume this year. She makes a really cute pirate!!

rsheedy said...

Wow, those are all amazing costumes. The pirate one definitely takes the cake...though it doesn't hurt that Maggie is so stinking cute! Ben makes an awesome Darth Vader too. I'll bet he loved it!

Anushka said...

Oh Moni.. this is so precious!.. you did a great job at it and I mean it! And to be able to make their custumes and have pictures of them it is a treasure for them for when they get older. You did it again!.. The video made us laugh so hard ... our Maggie sure is a precious little ham and Ben.. wow.. love them both! Thank you for sharing such preicous moments with Nana. Besos.. Mama

Johansen Family said...

Darling Monica! I am so proud of you for caving into buying one of the commercialized costumes! Maggie is the cutest pirate I have EVER seen.

Zachary said...

I remember you posting last year's Halloween pictures. You put a lot of work into those.

Maggie is an adorable pirate! Holy moly she has grown up a lot!

The video is awesome!

Smiley Family said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the costumes! I get excited every year to see your creations. And I definitely give you credit for inspiring me to make my kids' costumes - it IS so much more fun, and cuter than the store-bought stuff. In case anyone is wondering, yes I totally stole the scarecrow idea for Trent's costume from Monica. What can I say, she's a genius! :)

Princess said...

Luigi was my favorite, he looked just like him! Your kids are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica, it's your cousin Michelle. Just wanted to say that your kids are cuties!! And, loved the video. We have all had those moments with our kids.:0)

Anushka said...

Moni.. just another thank you for sharing this with me. When I feel a little down I just open it and truly enjoy it and specially this last one with the video.. I laugh so hard that I even cry. Love you tons my darling daughter. Loves, Mama

The Wright's said...

I got a good laugh out of that clip. I can't believe your kids argue!! ;-)

Cute costumes. I still remember that little witch last year. You are amazing.

All About M.E.('s) said...

I agree with Jamie, you inspire me to want to come up with clever costumes...maybe next year? Your costumes are always so cute/creative and I agree homemade is so much better than store bought.

Erica said...

I'm such a bad sister. UGH! This motherhood thing is kicking my ass. Anyhoo...LOVE the post and the video especially. Your kids crack me up. I've always been impressed with everything you sew. You are very talented and an awesome Mom. Love you lots.

Soccer Mom said...

Hey - this is Shenell Madsen Clark! You are very talented!!! I wish I could sew like that! I don't think I could even thread the needle or the bobbin'!!!!