Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feb. 9 - 15, 2009

Feb. 9

This year my kiddos have been in daycare. *sigh* I never thought my kids would be in daycare. My dream was always to be a stay at home mommy. I got to live my dream for four years and life has required me to go back to work. I feel there was no other choice for our situation. I have cried many tears for this decision we have made, but still feel it was the right thing to do for our now. It's had its ups and downs. I worried so much that they wouldn't get everything they needed from me as their mother. Now that it has been awhile I still don't love it. I still wish it was different. But they have grown, they have learned. Sis is definitely more social. Every morning Aaron brings them in. I am very lucky to be able to have them in the same building. One of my classrooms is right next door to them. I see them a lot. This is them on their way in.

Feb. 10
B was the star student of the week so I was able to go into his preschool classroom and help present his poster. He was so excited for me to be there. It was fun to see him interact with his peers. I snapped some shots of him on the rug during opening exercises.

Feb. 11
For those that don't know, I'm a special educator. I teach high school students with severe disabilities. I have a range or students from intellectual disabilities to autism to cerebral palsy. Although I would rather be a stay at home mommy, I love my job. If you've never worked with this population, it is a must at least once in your lifetime. They are pure joy (not all of the time, but mostly). They make my heart happy. I'm so lucky to be privileged to be among them everyday.

One of our students was nominated to be the sweethearts queen. Most of the nominees had to do assigned tasks alone, but our nominee was allowed to have help. We had to put together a poster for her, make a cake, and get her a costume for the assembly. Since I love to cake decorate I was able to help. My friend Sue had her dad who owns a bakery bake the cake and frost it in white. I just put all the finishing touches on it. Recently on food network I saw a woman use edible images to decorate a wedding cake. It was very interesting. When thinking of a design for this cake, I thought it would be fun to do the same. I used pictures of our students with their buddies. I also used stars and the words "what does friendship mean to you?". The top logo for our club was done with the color flow technique. It turned out a little rough because of time, but overall I'm very pleased. It was fun. Sorry for the white circles, I had to protect the innocent! :) By the way, She won!

Feb. 12

Do you have any idea what these are? I was busy doing whatever in the house when Sis came padding into the room with these babies. I said, "what are you wearing?" She said, "my new shoes!" If you have a wii or have ever played one then you know these are the plastic covers for the remotes. She is such a crack up.

Feb. 13
Friday night usually means a late night for whatever reason. We usually do something fun on Friday. This day we went to the dollar theatre and saw "The Tale of Desperaux". Make sure you rent this if you haven't seen it. I really enjoyed it. Anyhoo, this is the scene when we pull into our garage on a late night. Both of the kids usually have had it and are sound asleep when we get home.

Feb. 14
Valentines Day morning was spent at home. Aaron made us a yummy crepe breakfast. We went around the table sharing what we love about each other. Later on we traveled up North to meet my family for dinner. We were celebrating my sister's birthday. I love spending time with my family. I am completely at ease and myself when I am with them. They are a hoot to be around. We spend a lot of time laughing when we are together.

Feb. 15
We had some left over whipped cream in a can from breakfast the day before. Aaron showed the kids the joy of squirting it straight from the can into your mouth. Both of them were in whipped cream heaven.

See ya next week! I've got a good one for you. Can't wait to share!

12 comments:

Smiley Family said...

LOVE the shoes! Maybe she's gonna have a job in fashion - you never know:)

Allie said...

I love seeing these pictures. I love that it isn't a "say cheese" picture, but capturing life. The project may take a little effort every day, but I think it is fantastic! I may have to try it!

Erica said...

Ha...Maggie's shoes are funny. And the picture of our family is even more funny...Great pics again! Love you!

Anushka said...

Moni, I just can't believe how much joy we get when we see the pictures and read about what went on in your lives. Thank you again and again for sharing it with us and giving us such joy as parents that wishes they could see you every day. I love you so very much and *thank you!*.. besos.. Mama

Ashley Rae said...

That last picture of her devouring the whipped cream is fantastic. And I love her wii shoes. Classic.

How lucky are you that they are in the same building as you? That is awesome.

Very cute children you have there. They definitely take after you, not Aaron :)

rsheedy said...

I love your stories; your kids are so cute and you guys have so much fun together. You are such a cute family!

All About M.E.('s) said...

That is so exciting that your student won!! Cute cake.
I love your pictures. I always get good ideas from you of things I can take pictures of. I love this project, it is so much fun.
We had crepes for V-day breakfast too. They were yummy.
Anyway, great post.

Princess said...

LOVE the Wii shoes! I love how little girls can play dress up in pretty much anything! I love looking at your pictures, can't wait for next week!

Anonymous said...

That nice that they aren't to far away when in daycare... Your a good mommy! I love you pictures.

whitney said...

I'm so glad your kiddos have made the daycare transition well. I helped out a lot with special education while in high school and you're completely right. They're a joy like no other.

ps-good job with the cake-it looks fabulous!

Esther said...

that first picture is really priceless...it's my favorite. Very nice job on the cake, it looks great!

The Wright's said...

Beautiful cake Monica - you are so amazing..always amazing.