Monday, June 7, 2010

One Year

One year as a child seems like forever. One year as an adult flies by. It has been one year today since I lost my sweet Grandmother. This day one year ago rocked my world. This day one year ago saddened my heart more than I realized was possible. This day changed my life.

The past year has been a growing year for me. I can tell you that not one day of this past year has gone by without thinking of my Grandma. She was my rock...my constant. It's too bad we can't think of the ones we love that are here with us as much as I have thought about my Grandma this past year. I hope she knows how much I've missed her, how much I wish I could hug her again. I've tried to be better. Better at loving those that are here now, better at being more like her.

A family member told me it takes two years for a heart to heal. Right now as I type I can say, one year ago she was still alive, breathing, happy. Tomorrow I can say, one year ago she was gone from here, but definitely alive and happy. I know that woman is working hard, being a missionary. She loved the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She did not waiver.

One year later, I am good. I am happy. I have a stronger testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I am a bit nervous about life and how short it is. I know it's inevitable but I don't want to feel that pain again of losing someone I love. It's hard to be left behind. I am looking forward though. I feel like a chapter in my book is closing and a new one is about to begin. President Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured". I plan on doing just that.

5 comments:

Erica said...

You are amazing, and I love you! Great post for Grandma. I miss her so much too. I always wonder what she is up to. I hope she checks in on us once in awhile. *hugs*

All About M.E.('s) said...

Beautifully written Monica. I'm sure she misses you every day too. You were blessed to have had such a special relationship with her which created lots of memories that you will always cherish. There is a Dr Suess quote that says 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened'. Love you lots!

The Wright's said...

It is hard to believe it was just one year ago, it seemed just like yesterday. I am so glad you had such a great relationship with your grandmother. That is priceless.

Love you!

Smiley Family said...

One year does fly by. You really were lucky to have your Grandma around for so long and to have such a great relationship with her. Not many are so lucky.

Zachary said...

What an amazing post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have no doubt that your Grandma is watching you every day...and is happy for you.